Shade Tree Commission
|Joseph Aufiero||Terry Hoyt|
|David Ossowski||James Picon|
|Barbara Abolino||Vacant (Alt #1)|
|Michael McCabe (Alt #2)||Ron J. Dollman (Tree Specialist)|
|Lisa Knoll, Recording Secretary|
Public Education / Awareness / Outreach
- Arbor Day 2004 was celebrated in October, 2004 with a Beautification Project at Jackson Memorial High School, in coordination with the Jackson Rotary Club.
- Arbor Day 2005 was celebrated on May 13, 2005 at the Jackson Mills Firehouse. All of the Fourth Grade classes from Elms Elementary School attended the program, which included the planting of individually potted tree seedlings for the students to take home.
- Arbor Day 2006 was celebrated on May 2, 2006 at the Jackson Twp Volunteer Fire Co. #1 on Larson Rd. All of the Fourth Grade classes from Crawford - Rodriguez Elementary School attended the program, which included the planting of individually potted tree seedlings for the students to take home.
- Tree City USA annual awards.
- Continued compliance with Jackson Township’s State approved Community Forestry Management Plan.
- 2004 –2005 Municipal Tree Planting Project - $300,000.00 A $300,000.00 project for the planting of trees over 3 phases at Township Parks, Schools, Roadsides, Firehouses, First Aid Squads, MUA Sites, and Municipal Parking Lots throughout the township.
- 2004 Jackson Memorial High School Beautification Project - $16,000.00 A community project for the planting of trees and shrubs at the high school with volunteers from the high school and the Jackson Rotary Club.
- 2005 Municipal Hazard Tree Removal Project - $ 40,000.00 A project for the removal of dead and dying hazardous trees at 8 municipal sites (Jackson Municipal Complex, Senior Center, DPW Bulky Waste Site, Project Playground, Jackson Sports Complex, Switlik Elementary School, and Jackson Memorial High School).
- 2005 Hazard Tree Survey Project - $ 25,000.00 A windshield survey of all township roadways, parks, and schools for hazardous trees, as part of Jackson Twp.’s Community Forestry Management Plan goals. The survey was completed Fall 2005 / Spring 2006. Public notification of privately owned hazard trees along roadways was also done.
- Assistance and testimony at the 2005 trial of Shore Builders Assoc. vs. Jackson Twp. regarding the Jackson Twp. Tree Removal Ordinance, Chapter 100.
|MEETING AGENDA||MEETING MINUTES|
The NJ State Forest Service awarded Jackson Township CSIP Grant # 6 in 2005, in the amount of $ 5,840.00 to be used towards the implementation of a Hazard Tree Survey throughout the township.
The NJ State Forest Service awarded Jackson Township a BPU - Cool Cities Grant, in the amount of $ 25,00.00 to be used towards the planting of street trees to cool streets and reduce overall community energy consumption.
The Ocean County Shade Tree Commission has a pending application for the awarding of 44 trees to be planted by Jackson Twp. Dept of Public Works on three (3) Ocean County Properties within the township. The value of the grant is approx. $4,500.00